Excellent post about this unacceptable situation. I posted my feelings on the Raw Milk Fiasco on my blogspot blog last week.
Last week, a Victorian toddler died and four other children aged 1 to 4 fell seriously ill after drinking raw milk.
The tragic death has led to various health bodies to urge for the sale of raw milk to be outlawed, with Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, Dr Rosemary Lester, commenting, “If this was a food, it is something we would recall.”
The problem is that raw milk is sold under the guise of ‘bath milk’ in order to sideline the law that requires milk to be pasteurised.
Pasteurisation, the process of heating milk to 72 degrees for 15 seconds to kill harmful bacteria, was first introduced in Australia in the 1950s. Pioneered by Louis Pasteur over 150 years ago, the process ensures safer consumption of dairy products, which are consumed by upward of 80% of Australians.
Without pasteurisation, milk can contain harmful bacteria like salmonella, listeria, and e coli –…
View original post 191 more words